Don’t let that rhubarb go to waste! Make this simple strawberry rhubarb compote recipe, a scrumptious fruit sauce that may be added to only about any of your favourite breakfast meals like oats, yogurt, french toast, and extra.
Strawberry and rhubarb season is lastly right here! I at all times impulsively purchase rhubarb on the farmers market on the weekend within the spring since I crave that bitter/tart taste. Since strawberries are additionally in season in early summer time, it makes for the proper alternative to mix rhubarb with the recent strawberries to make this straightforward compote. It's one among my favourite issues!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Simply 5 easy components.
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
- A scrumptious method to make use of up candy strawberries and tart rhubarb when they're in season.
- Freezes nicely so it may be loved all yr spherical.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Contemporary strawberries: this recipe tastes greatest with recent fruit, however you should utilize frozen strawberries as nicely.
- Rhubarb: use recent or frozen rhubarb for this sauce recipe.
- Maple Syrup: naturally sweetens this recipe in order that it has much less sugar than many others you would possibly discover in different compote recipes. You should use brown sugar as an alternative of maple syrup when you like.
- Lemon: lemon provides a pop of brightness to this fruit compote recipe and pairs nicely with all the opposite spring flavors on this recipe. It's also possible to use the identical quantity of orange juice and orange zest as an alternative of lemon.
The right way to make Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
STEP 1: Slice your rhubarb stalks into small items and chop your strawberries. You need your items of fruit to be about the identical measurement.
STEP 2: Add your fruit. lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup and pinch of salt to a medium saucepan over medium warmth. You wish to use a mild warmth to heat up the fruit till it begins to interrupt down and kind a thick sauce. Stir sometimes because it gently simmers, it often takes about quarter-hour.
- Compote will thicken some because it cools. Makes about 2 cups of sauce.
- This recipe is a good way to make use of up underripe or bruised/mushy strawberries. They nonetheless prepare dinner up right into a scrumptious compote irrespective of how ugly they could look at the beginning!
- Change up the flavors on this strawberry rhubarb compote by including a tablespoon or two of finely chopped crystallized ginger root. Ginger pairs very well with rhubarb!
Steadily Requested Questions
This compote will final about 1 week within the fridge when saved in an hermetic container. Retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months.
There are such a lot of scrumptious methods to get pleasure from this compote recipe! For breakfast, add this fruity sauce to your oats, yogurt, chia pudding, french toast, pancakes, or waffles. Pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a slice of pound cake for a yummy summer time dessert.
Sure! You may freeze this compote recipe in an hermetic container and retailer within the freezer for as much as 6 months. Permit it to defrost within the fridge for an evening earlier than utilizing or defrost within the microwave.
Extra Recipes You’ll Love
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
Do not let that rhubarb go to waste! Make this deliciously easy strawberry rhubarb compote for a yummy topping for all types of summer time breakfasts and desserts.
Stop your display screen from going darkish
- 2 cups recent rhubarb chopped
- 2 cups recent strawberries chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the Compote
Add the entire compote components to a saucepan over low warmth. Convey to a simmer and prepare dinner till rhubarb has damaged aside and thick sauce has fashioned, about 15-20 minutes. Flip off warmth and switch a jar. Cool fully within the fridge.
Flip off warmth and switch a jar. Cool fully within the fridge. Makes about 2 cups of sauce.
Serving: 1/3 cup | Energy: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fats: 1g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 47IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1mg